Pages

Dawn Pritchard Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, February 5, 2015

She chooses to see the world.....



Hi Everyone! 
Well for those of you who don't know, the store front is now closed; I won't get into huge details on here, but the short version,  I was working 24-7, and the only thing that deserves that much attention is not a thing, but my family. So I am now a full time Momma and Crafter.
I will still be here for inspiration...and Courteney and I have some ideas that we need to figure out how to bring to life ...but for now, please continue to follow  the Blog and take a second a follow on FB and Instagram too.  I hope to have more time now to be more active on all the social media sites! 

The shop has been closed for about 2 weeks now...and it was difficult for me to process that, plus sort out all the stuff that needed to be done...it honestly was a horrible 2 weeks for me. Even though I knew it was the right choice for me, and my family, it was still unbelievably hard.  But I'm feeling more on the up right now and this week I found time to paint in my journal again.  And let me tell you..it was amazing to just be creating something for me...not for a class or display, which was the only thing I had time for the last 4 years, I played just because I wanted too, and because I love it! It felt AMAZING! 
Currently I am being inspired by Jane Davenport's style...my goal for the last few years has been to learn to draw girls better, but I never found the time to really sit down and dedicate the practice required to it.  I've been trying to do that the last few weeks.  I even started a small journal just for faces that I'm sketching in pencil to practice.  
I won't bore you with all the details, but here are a few shots of how I started out. Sketching her with pencil, I did the face first, then added hair...I was not aiming for her to look like Ariel, but it's how she turned out, so I decided to just roll with it.  I used a clear gesso over her so I could still see the lines, then I started painting.  I used a mix of paints, paint pens, Big Brush Pens, Prisma Colors to bring her to life.  The picture on the right was what I thought was done...but I knew something was just NOT right about here....I walked away from the art table, but brought the journal with me and stared at it while I watched TV. Then I figured it out! Her hair over her left shoulder was shaded wrong! It's hard to tell in the picture, red must not photo well, but her hair there was shaded dark, shadowed, BUT I brought it over shoulder therefore it's in the front! So it shouldn't be shadowed! OPPS! So I repainted over here with 2 layers of white gesso, and lots of skin tones to get ride of the hair over her shoulder and push back the shaded bits. And now she's more balanced.  I know I have a LOT of work to do learning how to paint better and shade properly...but I think she is pretty dang good start!


Thanks so much for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and let me know that you were here...and what you would like to see! More journals or scrapbook pages. Feel free to ask questions too, I'll do my best to help! 
XOXOX

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say wow! Love your project! Love her face and love her hair! Great job!

Sue S.